Diplomatic relations were established on February 12, 1992.
Operating since September 2002 in Kabul diplomatic mission of Kazakhstan in June 2003 was transformed into the Embassy.
Ambassador of Kazakhstan to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan since April 13, 2018 is (IRA) is Mr. Alimkhan Yessengeldiyev.
The Embassy of the IRA was opened in Almaty in 1993 (in 2005 relocated to Astana).
Since October 2017 Ambassador of Afghanistan to Kazakhstan is H.E. K.Shakhim. In Almaty the IRA also has its Consulate General (Consul General is M.Muin).
Visits at the highest level
Former President of the IRA Hamid Karzai has several times visited Kazakhstan:
- at the frames of his first official visit to Kazakhstan on April 15-16,2004 were discussed issues of interaction on fight against terrorism and drug trafficking, ways of entrance of Kazakhstan companies to the Afghan market, their participation in the reconstruction programs of Afghanistan's economy;
- December 1-2, 2010in Astana in the framework of participation in the OSCE Summit was arranged a meeting withPresident N.Nazarbayev, during which the issues of further strengthening of bilateral cooperation were discussed, along with topical issues of international politics.Afghan leader praised the role of the Head of State on organization of the such significant event;
-June 15, 2011 President of the IRA attended the Jubilee Summit of the SCO in Astana.
President H.Karzai has also participated in the work of the all three summits of the CICA in Kazakhstan (2002, 2006 and 2010.),as the ex-president - in the 13th Eurasian Media Forum in Astana on April 21-22, 2016;
- July 9-10, 2015 in Ufa (Russian Federation),President of Kazakhstan N.Nazarbayev "in the margins" of the Meeting of Heads of SCO Member States met with the newly elected president of the IRA M.A.Gani;
- November 19-20, 2015 - the first official visit to Kazakhstan by President M.A.Gani(held the negotiations at the highest level in narrow and expanded formats, signed six intergovernmental and interdepartmental agreements and memorandums of understanding);
- June 23-24, 2016 in Tashkent(Uzbekistan)during the meeting of the SCO Heads of States of President of Kazakhstan N.Nazarbayev had a bilateral meeting with M.A.Gani.
At the level of government leadership
- June 1-15, 2007- visit to Kazakhstan of the Afghan delegation headed by the 1st Vice President of the IRA A.Z.Masood composed of the heads of ministries and departments, representatives of business circles of the IRA.They discussed the main directions of political, economic and cultural-humanitarian cooperation, regional security, the fight againstdrug production and trafficking,international terrorism;
-October30, 2008- Afghan delegation headed by the 1st Vice President of the IRA A.Z.Masood participated in the Seventh Meeting of Heads of Government of the SCO member states in Astana;
-May 21-23, 2014 - government delegation led by the 2nd Vice President of the IRA M.K.Khalili took part in the VII Astana Economic Forum(AEF)andtheII World Anti-Crisis Conference.At the frames of AEF Kazakh Prime Minister Karim Massimov held bilateral talks with M.K.Khalili.Minister of Women's Affairs IRA H.B.Gazanfar was received by the Deputy Chairman of the Majilis of the Parliament D.Nazarbayeva and Deputy Prime Minister of Kazakhstan G.Abdykalikova.During the talks, both sides expressed interest in establishing business ties between the women's organizations of the two countries;
- December 14, 2014 within the framework of the SCO Head of Governments meeting in Astana Prime Minister Karim Massimov held a meeting with the Chief Executive of the IRA Abdullah Abdullah, during which issues of bilateral cooperation were discussed;
- December 14-15, 2015 - Prime Minister of Kazakhstan Karim Massimov held a meeting with the Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah "in the margins" of the next meeting of the SCO HGM in China;
- November 2-3, 2016 in Bishkek(Kyrgyzstan)at the sidelines of the SCO HGM Prime Minister of Kazakhstan B.Sagintaev had a meeting with the IRA Chief Executive AbdullahAbdullah.
At the level of foreign office leadership
-November22, 2009- official visit of Secretary of State - Foreign Minister Kanat Saudabayev to Kabul, during which talks with the President of the IRA Hamid Karzai, Foreign Minister R.Spanta, Special Representative of the Secretary General - Head of the UN Mission in Afghanistan K.Eyde were held;
-May17, 2010- next official visit of Secretary of State - Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan Kanat Saudabayev to Afghanistan as the OSCE Chair.The head of the Kazakh delegation was received by Hamid Karzai, held talks with Foreign Minister Z.Rasul and EU Special Representative in Afghanistan V.Ušackas.During the visit, an agreement between the Government of Kazakhstan and the Government of the IRA on cooperation in the fight against illicit trafficof narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances, their analogues and precursors was signed;
-July20, 2010- Secretary of State - Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan Kanat Saudabayev in Kabul attended the International Conference on Afghanistan, at the sidelines of which he met with Hamid Karzai, UN Secretary General P.G.Mun and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton;
-June13, 2012- visit of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan E.Kazyhanov to Afghanistan.Negotiations with Hamid Karzai, the speaker of the lower house of parliament A.R.Ibrahimi, Foreign Minister R.Rasool, as well as withthe Secretary General Special Envoy - Head of the UN Mission in Afghanistan Jan Kubis were held. Kazakhstan and Afghanistan signed the Protocol on political consultations;
- January 20-21, 2013- a working visit to Astana of the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the IRA D.Ludin.The sides discussed preparations for the Ministerial Conference of "Heart of Asia" in the framework of the Istanbul Process in AlmatyApril26, 2013,as well as held the first political consultations between the foreign offices of Kazakhstan and the IRA;
- May 9, 2015 in Kabul were held the next political consultations between the Ministries of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan and the IRA.The Kazakh delegation was led by Deputy Foreign Minister of Kazakhstan A.Musin.During the consultations parties discussed a wide range of issues related to condition and prospects of the development of bilateral relations in political, trade-economic and cultural-humanitarian cooperation;
- October 14-6, 2016 Minister E.Idrissov of Kazakhstan met with Foreign Minister of the IRA S.Rabbani at the International Donor Conference on Afghanistan of Brussels;
-November24, 2016 - a working visit to the IRA by E.Idrissov, during which the Foreign Minister of Kazakhstan met with President M.A.Gani, his national security adviser H.Atmar, Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, his second deputy M.Mohakkek, as well as foreign Minister S.Rabbani.A wide range of issues including cooperation between the two countries in various spheres, interaction of Kazakhstan and the IRA during Kazakhstan's non-permanent membership in the UN Security Council in the 2017-2018,as well as the chairmanship of Kazakhstan at the three Committees of the SC.
At the level of parliament leadership
In2012Speakerof the lower house(Wolesi Jirga) of Parliament of the IRA A.Ibrahimi twice traveled to the Republic of Kazakhstan as the head of Afghan delegations(14 March - Meeting of the Council of the CIS Interparliamentary Assembly, on August 28-29 - International conference "From nuclear test ban to a nuclear weapons freee world").Meetings were held with the Chairman of the Mazhilis N.Nigmatullin, during which they discussed issues includingestablishing an inter-parliamentary relations;
- May 11-12, 2013- visit to the IRA by parliamentary delegation of Kazakhstan headed by Chairman of the Committee on International Affairs, Defense and Security of the Mazhilis M.Ashimbayev, who held the meetings with the leadership of the lower house of parliament of Afghanistan, the security adviser of President R.Spanta, Foreign Minister Z.Rasool, as well as representatives of interior, defense, agriculture, anti-drug ministries, agency on disaster management, national security agencies and foreign diplomats accredited in Afghanistan;
- December 9-13, 2013 - at the invitation of the leadership of Mazhilisdelegation of Wolesi Jirga of the IRA led by the second Vice Speaker S.Saldzhuki visited Kazakhstan (Astana and Almaty).Meetings have been held with the Chairman of the Mazhilis N.Nigmatullin, Minister of Education and Science A.Sarinzhipov, head of the Agency for Civil Service Affairs A.Baymenov and religions - M.Azilhanov, First Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs R.Zhoshybayev and Almaty Maslikhat secretary M.Mukashev;
- June 14-17, 2015 the delegation of the Wolesi Jirga represented by the Deputy Chairman of the Commission for Women and Children Sh.P.Ahmadi and member of the commission on the budget B.M.Dzhauzdzhani participated in the International Conference dedicated to the 20th Anniversary of Kazakhstan People's Assembly "Kazakhstan's way: Unity. Patriotism. Reforms" in Astana.Meetings with Deputy Chairman of the KPA E.L.Tugzhanov, Chairman of the Committee of Mazhilis for socio-cultural development G.M.Iksanova, members of the parliamentary group for cooperation of the Mazhilis with the Wolesi Jirga, the Chairman of the Committee on International Relations, Defense and Security of the Senate I.Adyrbekov.
- May 31 - June 1, 2016 the IRA MP S.Saldzhuki took part in the international conference "Religion against terrorism" and the meeting of the Secretariat of the Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Astana;
- September 26-27, 2016- Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs of the Senate of the Parliament of the IRA A.Pashtun participated in the Asian Inter-Parliamentary Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation(Astana, the organizers - Mazhilis and ISESCO).
At the level of other state bodies
-April10, 2013 a working visit to Kabul by the Minister of Defense of Kazakhstan A.Dzhaksybekov, who met with President Hamid Karzai and the leadership of the Ministry of Defense of the IRA.They discussed issues of establishing military-technical cooperation, as well as the training of military personnel at the training bases in Kazakhstan;
-March 26-27, 2014 - Minister for Emergency Situations of the Republic of Kazakhstan V.Bozhko took part in the Summit "Nawroz-2014" in Kabul.Meetings were held with the second Vice President M.K.Khalili, as well as the ministers of trade and industry, the recovery of rural areas and the development of the IRA;
- September 28-29, 2014 - Kazakh delegation headed by the Minister of Education and Science A.Sarinzhipov attended the inauguration ceremony of the newly elected President of the IRA M.A.Gani.Minister A.Sarinzhipov was received by the Afghan leader, met with First Vice President - General A.R.Dostum;
- October 6, 2015 - Deputy Minister of Defense of Kazakhstan O.Saparov headed the delegation of the Ministry of Defense of Kazakhstan on a working visit to Kabul.He was accompanied by the Chairman of the Board of JSC "NC "Kazakhstan Engineering " E.Idrissov and a group of specialists. Kazakh delegation held the discussions with the leadership of the Ministries of Defense and Internal Affairs of the IRA on establishment of bilateral military-technical cooperation.
Relations in multilateral format have progressively been developing:
-Afghanistan is among the co-authors of the draft resolution entitled "Providing the CICA an observer status in the UN General Assembly" adopted by the Sixth Committee of the UN General Assembly in November12, 2007.Kabul has supported Kazakhstan's candidacy for election to the UN Economic and Social Council;
- In2009Kazakhstan transferred 1 million US dollars to the Special Fund for Islamic solidarity of the OIC to the reconstruction of Afghanistan;
- In 2014 Afghanistan has supportedKazakhstan's candidacy for non-permanent UN Security Council membership for 2017-2018.(on June 28, 2016Afghanistan voted in favor of our country in the elections in the UN headquarters);
- In 2015 the IRA supported the initiative of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the adoption by the UN General Assembly of the Universal Declaration of a nuclear-free world(reference:the IRA intends to support theinitiative of Astana on transforming the CICAto the Organization for Security and Development in Asia, which is also in charge of Kabul's interests in the region);
- In 2016 the Government of the IRA announced its intention to join as a full member of the regional center for emergency situations and disaster risk reduction in Almaty;
- On August 28-29, 2016the owner of the private Afghan news agency“UfuqInternationalNews" M.Noori participated in the International Conference “Building a nuclear weapons free world" (Astana).
Cooperation within the framework of international and regional organizations:
-Kazakhstan is has actively been cooperating with Afghanistan in the framework of international and regional organizations(OSCE, SCO, CICA, CSTO, CARICC, etc.).Kazakhstan is a member of the CSTO-Afghanistan Working Group, Contact Group on cooperation and coordination of efforts of the SCO member countries in Afghanistan's reconstruction projects. The IRA is a co-coordinator of the CICA in two directions: control of drug trafficking, new threats and challenges.
- June 28-30, 2011 the IRA delegation headed by Minister of Foreign Affairs Z.Rasool visited Astana to take part in the 38th Session of the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers;
-November2, 2011Istanbulhosted aninternationalConference on Afghanistan, which was attended by Foreign Minister Y.Kazykhanov.The initiative of this event came from the Regional Summit of Afghanistan's neighboring countries under the title “In the name of friendship and cooperation in the heart of Asia"January26,2010;
-December5, 2011in Bonn, Germany hosted an International forum on Afghanistan(“Istanbul process" of the countries of “Heart of Asia"),which was attended by Foreign Minister Y.Kazykhanov.As a result of this event the international community has once again reaffirmed its commitment to continue its assistance to Afghanistan, includingafter gradual withdrawal of foreign troops from the country by 2014;
- June 13-14, 2012 Foreign Minister Y.Kazykhanov combined his official visit to Kabul with the participation in the Ministerial “Heart of Asia" Conference in the framework of the “Istanbul process".Kazakhstan with Pakistan led a group of confidence building measures(CBM's)on Disaster Management, the country is also participating in theCBMsin the field of education, regional infrastructure, the fight against illegaldrugs.Y.Kazyhanov held talks with President Hamid Karzai, the Speaker of the lower house of the IRA Parliament A.R.Ibrahimi, Minister of Foreign Affairs Z.Rasool;
- by the decision of the Council of Heads of SCO Member States on7June 2012Afghanistan granted observer status in the Organization.Kazakhstan supported the initiative;
-September12, 2012in Astanaheld a Jubilee Session and 4th CICA Ministerial Council, which was attended by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the IRA Dzh.Ludin;
-April26, 2013Almaty hosted the Conference of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the “Heart of Asia" in the framework of the “Istanbul Process" on Afghanistan with the participation of President Nursultan Nazarbayev.As a result of the event Almaty Declaration was adopted.On the sidelines of the Forum the Head of State and Minister of Foreign Affairs E.Idrissov held bilateral meetings with the Foreign Minister of the IRA Z.Rasol;
- October 29-30, 2014Beijing hostedthe Fourth Ministerial Conference of “Heart of Asia" in the framework of“IstanbulProcess".The Kazakh delegation was headed by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan A.Mussin.At the end of the event there was adopted the Beijing Declaration, which emphasizes the importance of the Almaty conference as a landmark event in the development of the joint venture (themajority of references in the provisions of the document were to the Almaty Declaration);
- December 3-4, 2014 Kazakh delegation headed by Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Kazakhstan A.Mussinov took part in the London conference on Afghanistan.The Forum confirmed the intention of the international community to continue the assistance to the IRA in the “transformation period" from 2014 to 2024;
- August 28-29, 2015 in the framework of strengthening cooperation between analytic circles of Kazakhstan and Afghanistan, Director of KISR under the President of Kazakhstan Y.Karin paid a working visit to Kabul and heldmeetings with the leadership of the Center for Strategic Studies, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the IRA, the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan and the Afghan Institute for Strategic Studies.Y.Karin briefed the participants of the organized “round table" at the Embassy of the Republic of Kazakhstan in the IRA with the main provisions of the Address of the President Nursultan Nazarbayev to people of Kazakhstan from November 11, 2014"Nurly Zhol- Path to the Future", exchanged views on important regional and international problems;
- September 3-4, 2015 Kazakh delegation headed by Vice Minister of Education and Science T.Balykbayev participated in the 6th Meeting of the Regional Economic Cooperation Conference on Afghanistan(RECCA-6).The Kazakh side made a presentation on the establishment of the Islamic Organization for Food Security(IOPB). T.Balykbayev had the meetings with the co-chairman of the Intergovernmental Commission on Trade and Economic Cooperation of Kazakhstan and Afghanistan - Minister of Mines and Petroleum of Afghanistan D.Sh.Saba, Finance Minister E.Hakimi, presidential adviser on national security - the head of the National Security Council H.Atmar. The parties discussed issues of bilateral cooperation;
- December 9, 2015 the director of KISR Y.Karin participated in the regional conference “Afghanistan - Central Asia: Dialog- III" in Mazar-e-Sharif, Balkh province;
- April 28, 2016 Minister of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock of the IRA A.Zamir attended the 7th Minister's Session of the OIC Member States on the establishment of IOFS in Astana. Later, the country announced the ratification of the statutes IOFS;
- October 27-28, 2016 Minister of Justice of the IRA A.Haydari took part in the international scientific-practical conference “East-West" and the 4th Meeting of the Ministers of Justice of the SCO Member States in Almaty.
- November 3, 2016 at a meeting of the Council of Heads of Government of the SCO Member States in Bishkek the Chief Executive of the IRA Abdullah Abdullah met with Premier of Minister of the Republic of Kazakhstan B.Sagintayev;
- November 10-11, 2016 CEO of the “Ghazanfar Group" I.Ghazanfar participated in the CICA Fifth Business Forum in Astana.
Trade and economic cooperation :
The trade turnover between Kazakhstan and Afghanistan in 2016 totaled 489.4 million USD, of which exports of Kazakhstan -486.8 million USD, while imports – 2.6 million.
The Kazakh-Afghan Intergovernmental commission (IGC) on trade and economic cooperation plays an important role in the development bilateral trade. The Kazakh side of the IGC is co-chaired by the Minister of Education and Science Y.Sagadiyev, Afghanistan side - Finance Minister E.Hakimi. There were held 8 IGC meetings: 3 meetings in Astana ( September 17-18, 2007; May 5-6, 2010 and May 18-19, 2015), 4 in Kabul (December 13, 2008; September 26-27, 2011; September 16-17, 2013, and September 28, 2016 ), once - in Almaty (September 26-27, 2012 ). .
By decision of the IGC, Afghanistan's Chamber of Commerce and Industry is working on opening its office in Kazakhstan in the form of “Trade House of Afghanistan" in Almaty or Astana.
Due to implementation the order of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan , the interested ministries and departments of the country are working on the expansion of trade and economic cooperation with Afghanistan. On March 30-31, 2016 Kabul held a business forum “Business-Business", was opened “Trading House of Kazakhstan", being taken measures to increase exports to Afghanistan of Kazakh grain and flour, being provided an assistance to the business structures of Kazakhstan to participate in investment projects in Afghanistan and etc.
On the initiative of the Head of the State, since 2009 it is being realized a State educational program between Kazakhstan and Afghanistan on training 1 thousand Afghan students in the educational institutions of our country. There were allocated 50 million USD for this purpose. Currently, there are about 750 Afghan students have been studying in Kazakhstan (including about 100 police officers and border guards). In July 2016 was carried out another selection of 100 Afghan students (in 2015 has ended their training a group of border guards students, in 2016 - a group of doctors). The state program will be further extended (currently, the parties agreed upon the text of a separate protocol on the matter to the Agreement on cooperation in education signed in 2009).
Kazakhstan has been providing humanitarian assistance to the IRA in the form of products, essential commodities (in 2002 the IRA received 3 thousand tons of wheat; in 2008 - 2 thousand tons of wheat. In April 2009 - 1.3 thousand tons of milk powder, in April 2010 - 6 thousand tons of rice, in April 2011 - 5 thousand tons of rice; in 2013 - 60 tons of buckwheat and 160 thousand liters of vegetable oil; in March 2014 - food in the amount of 6 million USD; in response to natural disaster in Afghanistan, Government of Kazakhstan in September 2014 provided emergency assistance to the Jowzjan and Badakhshan provinces in the form of food and clothing at the amount of 775 thousand USD. In October 2016 another batch of humanitarian aid was delivered at the request of the government of the IRA, in December 2015 - 23 railway carriages of vegetable oil and 4 railway carriages with essential goods for residents of Kunduz affected by militant attacks).
In July 2008 Kazakhstan transferred 2.38 million USD to the account of the Ministry of Finance of Afghanistan: for construction of a school in Samangan province (160 thousand USD), hospitals in Bamyan province (570 thousand USD) and reconstruction of Taloqan - Kunduz - Shir Khan Bandar highway (1.65 million USD). Reconstruction of the highway was completed in October 2011, the construction of school – in 2012, suspended by the fault of Afghan side hospital construction resumed in October 2016.
The Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan (the decision №1365 of December 24, 2014) on December 30, 2014 transferred to the special account of the Ministry of Finance of the IRA about 1.5 million USD for construction of 4 bridges in the Aybak city and strengthening riverbanks of Aibak river in Samangan province. Currently, Afghanistan has started the project.
In October 2016 Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan has allocated to the Afghan National Army Trust Fund ( ANATF ) 2 million USD for support of the Afghan National Army (was promised in 2012 at the NATO summit in Chicago - USA).
The Office (on documentation issues)
+7 (7172) 72-05-17, 72-01-14, 72-05-13, Fax: +7 (7172) 72-05-16
On Consular Issues
+7 (7172) 72-01-64, 72-04-71, 72-04-88, 72-03-07.
Kazakhstan MFA Representation in Almaty
7 (727) 272 07 40 - political and protocol issues
7 (727) 272 07 47 - office of the Department of consular services in Almaty (visa and other issues)
7 (727) 272 07 20 - legalization division
Duty Diplomat (on weekends and public holidays around the clock on working days from 18-30 to 09-00)
+7 (7172) 72-01-11
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan
31, Kunayev str.
010000 Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan